The campus of Historic Homes of Runnemede, Inc. is comprised of three beautifully restored homes with histories dating back to the 1700s and 1800s in Windsor, VT. Windsor is nestled beneath a mountain peak and hugs the west bank of the Connecticut River and is the town where the Vermont State Charter was signed at the Old Constitution House in 1777.
1833 – Originally the Emerson House, the home was constructed by Thomas Emerson who had established a bank in Windsor and became its president. A year later the fortunes of Mr. Emerson turned as the bank failed.
1839 – The estate was subsequently purchased by Mr. Edwin Stoughton, a native of Springfield, VT and the name Stoughton House has remained to this day. Mr. Stoughton was best known for handling the patents of Charles Goodyear, and being appointed Minister to Russia by President Hayes.
1927 – The estate became a rooming house known as the Tower Inn, because the south side of the house boasted a tower, which at the time was the loftiest of any dwelling in town.
1931 – The estate became a community hospital begun by Mr. & Mrs. Irving Washburton, but failed as a result of the Depression.
1934 – The estate became the Windsor Hospital and remained in operation until 1972 when MAHHC was built on County Road.
1974 – The estate became an inn in the front of the building and the rear of the building, known as Stoughton House, became a haven for the aged who were seeking a place of repose.
1975 – The entire home was opened to the aged as a home for seniors.
Today, the Stoughton House is a 27-room Vermont-Licensed Residential Care Home that provides gracious living in a homelike setting for our residents.
The Evarts family owned the Evarts House, built in 1797. Known as the White House, three Presidents (Hayes, Harrison and Roosevelt) were entertained here. The home was gifted to Historic Homes from Mt. Ascutney Hospital & Health Center and has been beautifully restored to its former glory. It now houses 12 resident rooms.
The Cox House today houses 7 independent senior apartments. It was built in 1796, and owned by Archibald Cox, special prosecutor in the Nixon/Watergate trials, who sold it to Historic Homes. His family had owned and resided in the house over many years.